Department of Nursing
We educate nursing specialists (registered nurses and public health nurses) who can contribute to the local community with broad viewpoints and assured practical nursing competence.
Nursing specialist, who support health care in emergency and community medicine have not been adequate in terms of both quality and quantity.
Especially in Mie prefecture which is geographically long from north to south where aging and depopulation are remarkable in some areas, nursing professionals are needed for each regional public health, community medicine, home care nursing, and welfare based in each community. Therefore, to address these problems the Faculty of Nursing advocates the following 5 purposes to educate students to be fully trained specialists in society:
1 nursing competence in practice
2 communication ability and a broad cultural outlook
3 collaborative and cooperative ability base on the understanding of an interdisciplinary team
4 awareness and competence to contribute to community healthcare
5 ability to understand other cultures with and international viewpoint.
The licenses acquired by the students
It is possible to aquire the following lisences in Department of Nursing
- Registered Nurse
- Public Health Nurse
You can refer to information about the department here.
The curriculum is organized by the basic principles of human understanding and human care with the keywords: human beings, environment, health and nursing practice. The basic area has groups of subjects named “basic knowledge of medical subjects", “skills and aptitude of medical specialists", “culture and common sense of medical specialists", “health science" and so on. In the specialized basic area, students learn the relationship between humans and the environment and health through groups of subjects:"pathology, diagnosis and treatment", “health support and the social welfare system". In specialized areas, students listen to lectures, do practical training within the university and do practice in medical facilities in four areas—basic nursing, clinical nursing, broad areas of nursing (nursing outside of medical facilities) and integrated nursing.
We have developed the curriculum as follows: 1 Students have combined classes with all faculties and departments of the university to promote their awareness as a specialist and a member of an interdisciplinary medical team. 2 They have subjects in the humanities and society such as “philosophy and a view of life and death", to understand human beings and to foster true humanity. 3 They learn foreign languages, information literacy, global health nursing and disaster nursing to foster specialists who can deal with verified social needs. 4 They have “Integrated
Nursing I,II and III" to reflect upon their study in the department and unify their knowledge with skills and foster their ethical viewpoint in the fourth year.
- Learning the basics of nursing such as the objects of nursing, nurses’ functions and roles and support for a patient’s daily life
- Students learn specialized basic subjects such as structure and function of the human body and biochemistry which will be important when using scientific evidence when they practice nursing. They also learn basic nursing subjects regarding the specialized areas and experimental nursing practice in a hospital.
- Developing studies of each specialized area of nursing using the process of problem-solving which is indispensable for nursing specialists.
- Students learn the importance of the interdisciplinary medical team in order to practice patient-centered healthcare as well as specialized subjects which are basics of medicine.
- Genuine/authentic/serious study through nursing performance in practical training
- Students have practical training at various cooperative facilities depending on each nursing specialized area. They study performing nursing with plans base on scientific evidence according to different life stages, varied and changing health conditions through practical training. They also study about the interdisciplinary medical team through serious practice of nursing.
- Integration of study and preparation for the national examination
- Students prepare for the national qualifying examination through concluding seminar study in the third year (research project for graduation) and practical training aimed at smooth adaptation to clinical work after graduation.