Department of Emergency Medical Science
Train students to become paramedics who can play an active role in all kinds of disasters with a philanthropic spirit.
Paramedics have been active mainly in the fire departments until now.However, with the aim of reducing the burden on emergency doctors, who are overworked as a part of work style reform for doctors, the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare's "Study Group on the Emergency and Disaster Medical Service System, etc." discussed the scope of work of paramedics, and established a policy to allow paramedics, who are limited to working at accident sites and in ambulances, to work in hospitals as well.The Department of Emergency and Medical Science was established in response to this social trend and change, taking advantage of the strengths of a comprehensive university for healthcare and welfare.
The licenses acquired by the students
It is possible to aquire the following lisences in Department of Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medical Science
- AHA(The American Heart Association) BLS Provider
- AHA(The American Heart Association) ACLS Provider
- AHA(The American Heart Association) PALS Provider
- Japan Preventive Medicine Institute（JPMI） Reset® Basic training
You can refer to information about the department here.
The Department of Emergency Medical Science trains students to become paramedics having the knowledge and skills to play an active part not only in medical emergencies and disasters but also in medical institutions with a compassionate heart, ethics as medical professionals, and an empathetic attitude toward the whole family including the sick and injured and the patients.
A “paramedic” is a professional who is licensed by the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare to provide emergency medical care under the direction of a physician. To become a paramedic, one must pass the national paramedic examination and receive a license from the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare. The students must acquire the necessary knowledge and skills in the Department of Emergency Medical Science and fulfill graduation requirements to be eligible to take the national paramedic examination.
- Know what to study and Think about the subjects that are right for you
- Students learn about a wide range of medical and welfare fields through “Iryojin Sokojikara Education”, education for medical professionals, get an overview of learning through specialized education, and select courses that are suitable for them.
- Improve Professionalism
- Based on the basic knowledge learned in the first year, students intensively take highly specialized courses in emergency medicine.
- Learn the Realities of Clinical Settings and Emergencies
- The students receive clinical training and ride-along training on an emergency vehicle at off-campus medical institutions or at fire and emergency scenes with the cooperation of emergency medical centers and fire departments in Mie Prefecture.
- Work Toward Acquiring National Licenses
- The students culminate their studies by preparing to pass the national paramedic examination and the civil service examination for firefighters, etc.